Hustle, Hit and Never Quit

Written by- Ananya Julka



"I grew up in a city in Brazil, living in an apartment and having little physical education as a young child. I was not good at soccer or basketball or anything involving sports. Yet despite this, somehow I became a sprinter in my early-teens! At school one day a race was held to determine the fastest pupil. We all had to take part in this and I hadn't realised I'd be so quick. But I ran and was the fastest boy in the school - much to my surprise!

After this, I began to re-evaluate things. Some of my friends had already begun experimenting with alcohol and drugs. But for me, I had started to look ahead in life for the first time. I was breaking some track records in my age group and I enjoying the training process. I started to realize the importance of studying, to have rules and structure. As I got older, my coach really played a positive influence on my life and things started changing. While I still hung out with my friends - some of whom I'm still in contact with today - I stayed away from drugs and avoided drinking. I knew that my destiny would be something different.

Since then I've not stopped: I went on to study my Master's degree and then a PhD and I continue training even today."

This was the story of Herbert Gustavo Simões. Playing sports from a young age was able to instil in him optimism, goal setting and discipline. 







No doubt, playing a sport rejuvenates our body and mind, but the benefits don't stop here. Many of us tend to overlook the fundamental virtues it is able to teach children. It teaches young minds the importance of team effort, consistent effort and perseverance. It makes them confident and equips them better with the ability to survive the highs and lows of life. Teaching children a sport is not only a great way to bond with them, it teaches them the "sportsman spirit" which is an attitude they should possess as adults.

Realising the impact of sports on our lives and its importance, Samagra Foundation is proud to present its BLOGS SERIES ON SPORTS, marking the occasion of National Sports Day with a week long, two part blog series. One part of the series will focus on contribution of various sports in Olympics while the other part will focus on the psychological and social aspect of sports in our lives.

We promise to entertain you with lots of facts and amazing insights from the world of sports.


Don't forget to read our first episode on "Sport Psychology" -(excerpts)

What is it that makes world class athletes the way they are? Some of us will say genetics, but I beg to differ. Though they may have a gift from mother nature, there are many with arguably with the same calibre who often "under perform" . What is the mindset of these players who seem so supernatural to the lay man? How can we implement the same principles in our daily lives?

To read more, follow our account on Blog Spot, Medium and Word press and read our take on Sport Psychology coming out on 1/9/20.


 To know about the series on Olympics, click-


https://www.blogger.com/u/1/blog/post/edit/6008943616342542553/3950387031607839939


Post a Comment

0 Comments