India- A Safe Haven For Women?

 18-08-20

 WRITTEN BY: PRACHI MITTAL

  (EDITED BY:   ANANYA JULKA)

I am trying to contact her. Her phone is not reachable” said Raghav, desperately trying to reach his wife. She was supposed to be home 3 hours ago from her office. Nobody is able to reach Richa and her office says that she left 4 hours ago.

The family had decided to call police when suddenly a car stopped in front of their house. A stranger had come to drop Richa. The family had a sigh of relief but were confused to see a stranger accompanying her. Raghav hugged his wife, thanked the stranger and invited him in for dinner. It was 11 pm and the entire family could not eat a bite because of the worry.


What happened Richa? How did you get so late? We were so worried. Even your phone was unreachable.” Raghav asked anxiously.

Richa narrated, 

I had booked a cab to home from my office. Suddenly the cab stopped in a secluded area. The driver said there was some problem with the battery and that he was unable to go any further. I thought I can take an auto from the main road, which was just 5 minutes away from the spot. While I was walking towards the road, a strange man started following me. He had a knife and was pacing towards me. I saw a house on the roadside and knocked on the door. This kind man (pointing towards the stranger) opened the door and I explained him my situation. He let me in the house and I waited there for an hour. There was no network in the area, and therefore I could not contact you. I was very scared so, he offered to drop me home. I am extremely sorry. I was very scared.”

Raghav was worried. He again profusely thanked the kind man for helping his wife and ensured Richa that she was safe and home.

Everyone quietly ate the food thinking about the condition of women’s safety in India.

                                           (a work of fiction)     




Post a Comment

0 Comments